For anyone who doesn’t know much about the history of these encrypted chat applications, here’s a summary before going on to the comparison.
A mobile application available for both Android and iOS in the United States, it is also available for desktop use. However, to access the web version, it should be on the same WiFi network. There is now a separate Consumer app WhatsApp Business for firms to communicate with their customers (since 2018). Brian Acton and Jan Koum released the software basically as an independent network in 2009. Yet Facebook purchased it for $19 billion in 2014.
With the latest in-app paid functionality, WhatsApp has everything you need on a social service messaging. Community conversations with 256 participants work. Group chats work. You are able for individuals and organizations to send messages to various addresses and enable voice and video calls.
- Video party calls (8 users at any time)
- The functionality of WhatsApp (also called WhatsApp stories)
- With Whatsapp, you will exchange all manner of papers and files (up to 100MB)
- Up to 16 MB can be exchanged images, videos, and audio files
- Through your contacts, you can share your live position
- Cloud providers such as Google Drive and iCloud can back up, recover messages and records.
- WhatsApp uses communication end-to-end encryption (E2E): texts, video calls, voice calls, images, and everything else
- WhatsApp uses the Open Whisper Networks E2E protocol, much like the signal.
Introduced by Nikolai and Pavel Durov in Russia in 2013, Telegram is also a freeware message and VoIP program. It currently supports a variety of platforms, including Android, iOS, Windows, Linux, and macOS. To connect with the devices of your choosing, users can easily combine several devices into each account.
Telegram gives aid to organizations of up to 200,000 participants. Telegram has many group-specific features known for its big and huge communities such as bots, polling, quizzes, and hashtags that are comprehensive for large group interactions.
- Messages that immediately delete the message after a certain time are removed
- The files on Telegram are exchanged by 1.5 GB
- Supports Android and iOS voice and video call
- Telegram only supports the hidden chat feature of E2E
- The organization has stated that up to now it shares 0 bytes of data with third parties or governments.
Signal Software replaces the former TextSecure and RedPhone messaging applications, which officially began in 2015. The app began to gather steam in 2018 after the non-profit Signal Foundation was started by Brian Acton, co-founder of WhatsApp, and actively invested in creating the Signal App. The signal is also available on a free, open-source, Linux, iOS, and desktop application platform. It can be used as a single platform.
Signal provides free, end-to-end encryption communications, voice and video calls to the latter. You can set up classes, but cannot concurrently send messages to several contacts. Also, Signal has added a community calling service.
- Supports texts self-destructing
- Note to yourself that you express your ideas without establishing a single community of participants.
- Signal permits voice relays to the computers, identity is not shared, just like a VPN is used
- Signal uses user-facing backend coding.
- The open-source signal protocol is used to carry out end-to-end encoding
- Signal also encrypts the metadata with various protection levels.
WhatsApp does not encrypt backup (cloud or local). WhatsApp also does not encrypt metadata, as opposed to signal, used to communicate between two endpoints. WhatsApp group chats were found earlier to be indexed for the main data infringement point in Google Search.
Group telegram chat is not encrypted until secret chats are used, and once again only single-user communication is supported.
DETAILED FEATURE OVERVIEW
|Group smart notifications||NO||YES||YES|
|Pinned messages to the top of group chat||NO||NO||YES|
|Mute all groups by default||NO||NO||YES|
|Last seen time||YES||NO||YES|
|Ability to hide phone number from message contacts||NO||NO||YES|
|Disable read notifications||YES||YES||NO|
|Folder structure for chats||NO||NO||YES|
|Channels for message broadcasts to subscribers||NO||NO||YES|
|Creating a username to share with others instead of your phone number||NO||NO||YES|
|Animated stickers in native app||NO||YES||YES|
|Polls in group chats||NO||NO||YES|
|Add chat to the home screen of the device||NO||NO||YES|
|Edit message after it’s sent||NO||NO||YES|
|Delete message from group member as administrator||NO||NO||YES|
WhatsApp Data Collection
- Device ID
- User ID
- Advertising Data
- Purchase History
- Coarse Location
- Phone Number
- Email Address
- Product Interaction
- Crash Data
- Performance Data
- Other Diagnostic Data
- Payment Info
- Customer Support
- Product Interaction
- Other User Content
Telegram Data Collection
- Contact Info
- User ID
Signal Data Collection
- It only stores your phone number