A Security Researcher Steven Murdoch Described Vulnerabilities in such a conversations were encrypted. He Claims to eavesdrop on Phone Calls in their software which were developed by GCHQ UK intelligence agency.
In Reply from GCHQ:
Steven Murdoch did not say that the vulnerability would give direct access to conversations, but that it would make it possible to undermine the system’s security.
The network operator could listen in to calls, or authorize someone else to, and anyone who hacked the system would be able to eavesdrop, he said.
‘What is GCHQ?’
- We have support networks for women, BAME, disabled, and LGBT employees
- We are proactive in trying to recruit talent from underrepresented groups
- We undergo regular diversity benchmarking by Opportunity Now and Race for Opportunity
- We have relationships with organisations such as Stonewall and are one of their Diversity Champions
- Through our Women in Technology (WITTY) initiative we engage with schools and universities to encourage more women to take up STEM subjects.
- We make workplace adjustments for people with disabilities
- We have a prayer room for staff
- We are proactive in offering part-time and flexible working arrangements to suit those with home or personal commitments
- We have developed an award-wining Dyslexia and Dyspraxia toolkit.
One of Dr Murdoch’s chief concerns was that the security standard has “key escrow” by design – meaning, for example, that a third party has access to data sent between two people in a conversation.
This, he said, is an example of a backdoor.
In this case, it could allow an intelligence agency, or the organisation which is using the standard, to intercept phone calls, Dr Murdoch said.
“I think this comes from a conflict of interest within GCHQ in that they are there to prevent spying but they are also there to spy – so they facilitate spying,” he told the BBC.
Dr Murdoch added that he was aware of two products which use the standard, both of which are government certified.
“They could be in use inside government,” he said.