MAC (Media Access Control) is a number that identifies your network adapter or adapters for connecting to the internet. To remain highly anonymous you should, first of all, change your mac address. Although it may not be the most important thing to do but surely it is one of the steps which you need to do to climb the ladder of anonymity. By changing your mac address you can
– Remain Anonymous
– Bypass Mac Filters
– Mac Authentication
– Correcting ISP Connection (Internet Service Provider)
1. Remaining Anonymous: The first and the foremost thing by spoofing your mac address is for the purpose of anonymity. Your mac address can be seen by any person on your local area network (LAN) or for that matter if you are connected to a WiFi network any person can see your mac address by just running a simple scan either from windows or Linux. A simple example of this is to just use the command from Linux as
airodump-ng mon0 (mon0 = your wifi interface)
The BSSID’s listed above refer’s to the mac addresses for various networks available in your range. By just running a simple scan we find out the various BSSID’s available. Hackers may tried to exploit your network if they found out your mac address and can use the internet as being “you” That’s why you need to change your MAC address.
2. Bypassing MAC Filters:- If you ever need to connect to an open WiFi network for the purpose of remaining anonymous but things didn’t turn out pretty well, maybe the WiFi owner is using a MAC filter. MAC filter means only allowing those users to connect which have a specific MAC address. By changing your MAC address to that specific address that is connected you can connect to a network but first by de authenticating the current user.
3. MAC Authentication:- Some ISP (Internet Service Provider) may only allow you to connect to a MAC address if you have a specific address. So changing your address always helps in this case.
4. Correcting ISP connection:- You can get the same IP address if you have the same MAC address ( This happens with some ISP providers). So be sure to change your MAC address so that every time you connect to a network you may get a different IP and it will increase your chances of being anonymous.
HOW TO CHANGE YOUR MAC ADDRESS
1. Smac ( For Windows):- It is a powerful MAC changer that has been around for years. It is easy to use with any hardware. You don’t need to be an “expert” to use this. It completely spoofs your Mac address.
Instead of using Smac, there are many software’s available which you can use to change your computer’s mac address and so on remain anonymous online.
2. Mac Changer (Linux):- Mac-changer is a freely available tool that is used for changing the Mac address in a Linux machine. What you need to do is select your internet interface and run the command and it’s pretty much done.